President-elect Trump officially names Sean Spicer, communications director for soon-to-be White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus during Priebus’ tenure as Republican National Chairman from 2010-16, the administration’s Press Secretary.
Spicer has been the spokesperson for the Trump transition team as he has hosted phone-in press briefings. He told Megyn Kelly on Dec. 15 that the press briefings would continue into Trump’s presidency.
“Well, I think we have to look at everything. And so I don’t know that it needs to be daily. I don’t know that they all need to be on camera,” Spicer told Kelly. “And I think that’s a view shared by a lot of former White House press secretaries, a view by some in the media, in fact, that the White House press briefings have become somewhat of a spectacle.”
Though Spicer has longtime relationships with many Washington reporters, he frequently aggressively challenges their reporting and analysis on television and social media ― occasionally even in person. During a Politico event last week, Spicer said the publication, in many cases, covers Republicans in a “tweet-happy” style that is “devoid of facts.”
“For too long, I think that we’ve had this very stale operation, which is all the mainstream media folks get front row seats, and it’s a question of, here are the broadcast networks, here’s The Washington Post, The New York Times,” Spicer said.
Spicer has proposed that the ranks of the White House press corps be reassessed moving into the Trump administration to allow for more conservative news outlets to have the highly sought-after front row seats.
During an interview Thursday on Fox News, Spicer said Trump does not plan to kick out news outlets in response to negative coverage but claims it may not be necessary to hold daily briefings or continue the tradition of televising them.
What do you think of Trump’s latest pick? Let us know in the comments below!