A baby dolphin that was dragged ashore has died after it was not properly returned to the water for a deadly reason: People wanted to take selfies with it.
That’s right, the baby calf was actually dragged ashore by tourists on Sunday in San Bernardo, according to Argentine newspaper La Capital.
People vexed in an interest in touching and taking selfies with the dolphin didn’t care that it was slowly dying.
While dolphins do breathe air, they can very easily overheat when removed from the water.
A local witness, named Claudia, told local news that the tourists just “let him die.”
“He was young and came to the shore,” she explained in Spanish, “They could have returned him to the water – in fact, he was breathing. But everyone started taking photos and touching him. They said he was already dead.”
Otra vez mataron a un delfín en San Bernardo. Sacaron al animal del mar para sacarse fotos. pic.twitter.com/4qzYnWvKiH
— C5N (@C5N) January 23, 2017
Believe it or not, this is the second time that tourists in Argentina have been the cause of a dolphins death. Just in February of last year, almost a year apart, tourists paraded down the beach with an endangered dolphin until it overheated and died. Without any human decency, they left the then-lifeless creature on the beach to rot or be taken by the tides.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know below!